What do you get when you combine video, social networking, micromedia and a very savvy French entrepreneur? You get Seesmic. Seesmic is the brainchild of French blog-star Loïc LeMeur and aims to do to video conversations what Twitter did to text-based conversations. The site is a social network where the primary content is video. Users record video, post it to the site and other users reply in video.
The site is in pre-alpha (only about 300 users testing right now) and a lot will change over the course of the next couple of months and I'll re-post when it goes into beta. Enjoy the video:
[Feed readers please click through to the post if you cannot see the video.]
Here is an example of the user-side of the video experience from Seesmic:
Key takeaways for marketers:
- The move toward video as an intimate, personal form of communicating is here
- Technology has caught up to consumers and video is easy to record on Seesmic right through the browser
- Conversations will be mobile on this site down the road so you can create, send and reply to videos from a mobile device
- Content created by the users is re-mixed into a daily video best-of video that is then shared with everyone
- Hooks into YouTube, Twitter and Skype help auto-promote content to larger, external networks
- The company is asking for suggestions and proactive responding to them in video
- The openness that the company is providing as they share how they are growing is a model more companies should follow
Through the videos they've created I have found myself becoming attached to the company and the model they are using to build a company. I will keep an eye on this in the future and let you know when more invites become available.
If you have a site that you would like me to look at and possibly do a post like this on, drop me an email or leave a comment on the post.
To help you stay on top of what is happening and to filter the myriad options, you can now subscribe to the Techno//Marketer podcast on iTunes. Get updates in real time when new videos become available.
If you use another podcatcher you can grab my podcast RSS feed here.
You can watch this and other Techno//Marketer videos on your video channel of choice: