Here is a look at what is happening across a couple of sites I keep an eye on. I am refining this post over time, so if there is anything you would like me to add just email me or leave a comment. Similarly, if you have something you think is Buzz Friday worthy let me know and I'll look it over for inclusion.
Buzz Friday is also available as part of the Techno//Marketer Podcast on iTunes. Click here to subscribe and take the Buzz to go.
[Feed readers please click through to the post if you cannot see the video.]
Here are all of the items that I think are interesting this week:
- Do you wonder how powerful Google's search is? They recently "tweaked" their search algorithm and it caused a 28% drop in traffic to About.com.
- The DIY Network is running a series called Blog Cabin where people could log on to a site and basically help design a log cabin through blog software. Four million votes have been tallied so far. Very innovative on DIY's part.
- Google is using the power of crowdsourcing in non-US countries to build map dat points. Why not use the locals for the local stuff? Makes sense to me.
- TubeMogul is a brilliant new service that I am using to simultaneously publish the video that I am creating here to (as of right now) 9 different video sites. This saves me at least an hour of follow up.
- If you have a MySpace profile, Tom is probably your friend. The new site DropTom lets you set a new default user instead of poor ole' Tom.
- Marcus Brown (aka Sacrum), my fellow Age of Conversation author, has started a new idea company called The Ides of March with a very cool model. He'll take on any problem for you and you pay him what you think it's worth. If you don't like the idea, he gets to blog it to his readers. He's a brilliant guy so what's to lose?
- A new virtual world competitor to Second Life is ready in Multiverse. Look for lots more.
- Social network Plaxo is rumored to be releasing their new version on Monday to compete more with LinkedIn and Facebook.
- Yahoo is revamping their video site to compete with YouTube. Better hurry guys!
- Video service Veoh is partnering with the NCAA for a branded content channel.
- Are you planning a conference that needs speakers? Check out David Berkowitz's 12 tips for pitching to help you out.
- C.B. Whittemore warns why competing on price is a losing battle.
- Vodafone pulled advertising from Facebook after it was seen on the group page of a racist political party in the UK. Makes you wonder how targeted FB ads are anyways.
- CBS mobile is covering their bases forming partnerships with four major mobile ad companies.
- Feedburner is allowing publishers to create self-serve ads through their network similar to Google AdSense.
- In what is sure to be the first of many such scenarios, Facebook has closed its audio sharing service to prevent RIAA lawsuits.
- If you have an iPhone and travel overseas beware. This guy had a $3000 cell phone bill.
- Technokitten has a nice post on mobile gaming and her top 20 trends for the space.
- Linden Labs, creators of Second Life, have banned gambling per FBI reviews.
- Do you have some advice for people coming out of college? Head over to Ryan's blog and leave your best thoughts.
- The LA Fire Department has started Twittering to get information out.
- Jason Calacanis has declared Facebook bankruptcy on his blog. I would too if I had 500 people join in.
Top Five Web2.0 Movers of the Week (using Alexa data)
Top Ten Marketing Blogs from Viral Garden - No change from last week
- Seth's blog
- Gaping Void
- Duct Tape Marketing
- Logic + Emotion
- Diva Marketing
- Daily Fix
- What's Next
- Church of the Customer
- Drew's Marketing Minute
View the top full top 25
Top Ten Marketing Blogs from Todd Andrlik - There is lots more competition on the Power150 since Todd partnered with AdAge.
- Seth Godin
- Micro Persuasion
- Pronet Advertising
- Search Engine Land
- Online Marketing Blog
- Duct Tape Marketing
- Marketing Pilgrim
View the full list here
Top 5 "Viral" Videos This Week
- Thriller - still holding strong
- Chocolate Rain - a joke with staying power
- Dark Knight Official Teaser
- Rhain Davis at Manchester United
- Iron Man - Comic-Con preview
To help you stay on top of what is happening and to filter the myriad options, you can now subscribe to the Techno//Marketer podcast on iTunes. Get updates in real time when new videos become available.
If you use another podcatcher you can grab my podcast RSS feed here.
You can watch this and other Techno//Marketer videos on your video channel of choice: