Here is a look at what is happening across social media and new marketing this week. If there is anything that you would like to see in this post or if you have something you think is Buzz-worthy please drop me an email or leave a comment on this post. I want to make this as beneficial for you as I can.
Buzz Friday is also available as part of the Techno//Marketer Podcast on iTunes. Click here to subscribe and take the Buzz to go.
[Feed readers please click through to the post if you cannot see the video.]
Here are all of the items that I think are interesting this week:
- Jeremiah Owyang of Podtech has decided to take a job with Forrester as an Analyst. Congrats to him, seems like a great fit.
- A group of college students on Facebook threatened bank HSBC with a boycott over its plans to change their formerly free overdraft policy.
- There is a rumor floating around that Microsoft could buy Blackberry. We'll see where this goes.
- Karl at Experience Curve wants to save Technorati and offers some insights for the service including a pro plan. What do you think? Is it salvageable?
- iTunes and NBC are parting ways. NBC wanted to charge $4.99 for their shows. That's $3.00 more than Apple charges. Thomas Hawk thinks this is as stupid as I do.
- An interesting move by Google will allow Gadgets to talk to each other on people's iGoogle home page.
- Apple is expected to unveil a new line of iPods and a new wireless iTunes service next Wednesday. P.S. if you are going to buy an iPod this weekend WAIT!
- I particularly like this interview that David Armano did with his colleague David Stallsmith. Great insights into design.
- I found this hilarious. A guy running for school board creates an ad and posts it to YouTube. Viacom's VH1 show "Web Junk 2.0" took it and used it on their show. The guy who created it posted the VH1 version on his site and Viacom ordered him to take it down. Right hand, meet left hand.
- Great post by Greg Verdino on video. Greg shows the craziness that happens when a study is done by somebody who's business hinges on the results looking a certain way. Interruption is on the way out.
- Jaiku has added instant messenger to its offering. Definitely a more robust platform than Twitter, but the people are still on Twitter.
- Iain points to a huge QR poster in London to promote the DVD release of 28 Days Later. Would have been even more cool had the message not said the same thing.
- Hulu, NBC's newly formed network, translates to "cease" and "desist" in Swahili. Gotta love the irony.
- I was talking about the possibilities of using the iPhone's tilt sensor to do some cool things. Check out this post on Engadget.
- Heineken will release a new beer for women. This has been done is other countries in Europe to some success.
- Nokia introduced a new music store to compete with iTunes. Could take off in Europe, but will be slow to roll in the US.
- CNN made the move away from Yahoo to Google for search.
- If you have a bad impression of the airline industry in this country, you have obviously not been on a United flight when Denny Flanagan was at the helm.
- Ever hear the question "if advertising is so great, why don't ad agencies use it"? Strawberry Frog took out this ad in Fortune and I'd love to see what the reaction was.
- Digg gets a makeover...yawn...next story!
- Good to see bloggers who tell it how it is. Check out this honest and fair review of a book by David Berkowitz. This is a possibility for anybody doing a blogger outreach campaign. I hope the author takes David's advice.
- Colorado University got its first use of a new emergency text messaging system last week.
- Yahoo's new mail service offers free text messaging right from the mail interface.
- Have you ever been in a "strategy" meeting that felt like you were in a "tactegy" meeting (yes I just made that up)? Idris feels the same way and explains why it happens.
Top Five Web2.0 Movers of the Week (using Alexa data)
Top Ten Marketing Blogs from Viral Garden
- Seth's blog
- Gaping Void
- Duct Tape Marketing
- Logic + Emotion
- Search Engine Guide
- Diva Marketing
- What's Next
- Daily Fix
- Drew's Marketing Minute
- Influential Marketing
View the top full top 25
Top Ten Marketing Blogs from the AdAge Power 150
- Seth Godin
- Micro Persuasion
- Pronet Advertising
- Search Engine Land
- Search Engine Watch
- Online Marketing Blog
- Marketing Pilgrim
- Publishing 2.0
View the full list here
Top 5 "Viral" Videos This Week
- Miss Teen USA 2007
- Gmail Behind the Scenes
- Content-Aware image sizing
- Common - Drivin me wild
To help you stay on top of what is happening and to filter the myriad options, you can now subscribe to the Techno//Marketer podcast on iTunes. Get updates in real time when new videos become available.
If you use another podcatcher you can grab my podcast RSS feed here.
You can watch this and other Techno//Marketer videos on your video channel of choice: